Parshuram, Rama with an axe is believed to be sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. He was born to Renuka and Jamadagni one of a saptrishi. He is believed to be one of the immortals of Hindu mythology. According to some legend it is believed that he still lives at Mahendragiri Mountain Peak in Orissa. Here are some interesting stories about Parshuram.
1. Parshuram received his famous axe after pleasing Lord Shiva by strict penance.
Lord Shiva giving axe to Parshuram
2. Parshuram conducted thousands of Ashwamedha and gave the entire land conquered as an alm to sage Kashyap.
3. Once kshatriya king Kartavirya went to his father’s ashram and stole the holy calf that was gifted to him by Lord Indra. Enraged by this act, Parshuram killed Kartavirya and rescued the calf. To avenge Kartavirya’s death, his son killed Jamdagni (Parshuram’s father). In return Parshuram killed all kshatriya 21 times to restore peace to the earth.
4. He played an important role in Ramayan, he gave the bow of Shiva to Janaka for Sita’s swayamvar.
5. He played important role in Mahabharat by serving as mentor to Bhishma, Drona and Karna.
6. He killed his mother – His mother Renuka was known for her chastity and devotion for her husband. Her strength of her devotion was so strong that she was able to fetch water in unbaked clay pot. One day she was at the river she saw some gandharva, for a moment she was filled with desire and the unbaked pot dissolved. Her husband Jamadagni came to know every thing with his yogic power he was enraged. He called his son gave him an axe and ask him to kill his mother but one by one they all refuse in return they were turned into stone. But Parshuram was very obedient and he beheaded his mother. He was granted two boon in which he asked for her mother and his brothers back to life.
7. Fight with Lord Shiva – Once Lord Shiva challenged him for a battle to test his skills in warfare. Fierce battle lasted for 21 days one day he countered and attacked Shiva with his parshu which stuck on his forehead. Lord Shiva was impressed by his amazing skill and embraced him. Thus Shiv is also known as Khanda- Parshu.
8. Parshuram cursed Karna that he will forget his skills at the time when he needs most. This happened when Parshuram discovered that Karna was a Kshatriya and not a Brahmin.
9. Once Parshuram was annoyed with Surya (Sun God). He shot several arrows in the sky when he ran out of arrows he send his wife to bring more. Sun God focused his rays on her causing her to collapse. Surya then appeared before Parshuram and gave him slippers and umbrella.
10. Once he went to mount kailash to meet Lord Shiva but he was stopped by Ganesha. Parshuram threw his axe on him , Ganesha knew that the axe was given to him by his father so he allowed it to sever his left tusk thus got his name Ekdante. Later he gave him his divine axe and bless him.