Mahabharata – facts
In the epic Mahabharata, there are numerous facts which fascinates us. Following are the 51 facts, which will surely entertain you.
1. Kauravas had one sister. Her name was Dushala. She was later married to Jayadratha, who was killed by Arjuna to revenge the death of his son, Abhimanyu.
2. Abhimanyu’s wife was Uttara. His son Parikshit later on became the king.
3. Satyawati smelled like a fish. Her name was Matsyagandha. By the boon of sage Parashar, she smelled like a flower.
4. Drona was born in a vessel. He was sage Bhardwaj’s son.
5. Jarasandh was born in two halves. These two halves were fused by a rakshasi Jara, hence his name Jarasandh. Jarasandh was killed by Bheema.
6. Arjuna defeated the kauravas after the agyaatvaas, which included Drona, Karna and Bhishma. Uttar was his charioteer.
7. By a boon of Gandhari, Duryodhana’s body became impregnable, save for his thighs, where, he, on advice of Shri Krishna, wore a loin cloth.
8. Bhima could only kill Duryodhana because of stroke of the genius, Shri Krishna. See this link for details.
9. Shri Krishna did not fight the Mahabharat war. His army Narayani vahini, was on Kaurava’s side.
10. Shri Krishna’s narayani army fought from Kaurava’ s side.
Reading suggestion: Unknown facts from Mahabharata (1)
11. Draupadi kept her hair untied after the cheerharan. She vowed that she will tie her hair with Dushashana’s blood. Bheem did the needful.
12. Dhritrashtra crushed the iron statue of Bheema with bare hands. Duryodhana used to practice with the replica. Shri Krishna knew that he would like to kill Bheem, so he switched their places.
13. Pandavas hid their weapons on Sami tree during the agyaatvaas.
14. Ved Vyasa was the father of Dhritrashtra, Pandu and Vidura.
15. Bhishma’s real name was Devvrata. This is because of the vow he took so that his father can marry Satyavati, he was called Bhishma.
16. Arjuna was really a eunuch during the agyaatvaas. He was known as Brihannala. Thanks to a curse from Urvashi.
17. Shri Krishna forgave Shishupala 1o0 times before killing him.
18. Karna’s teacher was Parshuram.
19. Babhruvahana killed Arjuna, his father. Arjuna’s life was restored with the help of a gem, given by Uloopi.
20. Subhadra, Chitrangada and Uloopi were wives of Arjuna. Subhadra was the sister of Shri Krishna.
Reading suggestion: Unknown facts from Mahabharata about Karna
21. Karna and Bhishma never fought together. Because Bhishma treated Karna very lowly.
22. Ghatotkacha was killed by Karna with ekaghni.
23. Karna was born with Kavach and Kundala.
24. Draupadi was the daughter of King Drupada. Drupada was a friend of Drona. Panadavas defeated and imprisoned Drupada.
25. Drupada desired a son who could kill Drona who had humiliated him in battle and taken half his kingdom. Dhristdyumna killed Drona in Mahabharata war.
26. Ashwaththama killed Dhristdyumna, Shikhandi and sons of Pandavas with help of Kritvarma and Kripacharya on the last night of Mahabharata war.
27. Shri Krishna cursed Ashwaththama to be alive because of his act of cowardice.
28. Of the 100 brothers of kaurava, only Yuyutsu survived the Mahabharata war.
29. Yuyutsu had fought from Pandavas side.
30. Bheema killed all 99 brother of Kauravas.
Reading suggestion: Unknown facts from Mahabharata(3)
31. Bhishma himself told Yudhishthir that he can be defeated by a woman. Then Shikhandi came to rescue of Pandavas.
32. Drona killed Drupada.
33. Shalya was killed by Yudhishthir.
34. Shalya wanted to fight the war from Panadavas side, but Duryodhana tricked him to join the war from Kauravas. He finally became the commander, but popularly known as the sarathi of Karna.
35. Due to a boon given by Lord Shiva, Jayadratha was able to keep Pandavas away for a day. This became the reason of Abhimanyu’s demise.
36. Mahabharat war lasted for 18 days.
37. Pandavas rule was followed by their grandson, Parikshit. Pandavas son were killed by Ashwaththama during the Mahabharat war.
38. Abhimanyu learnt the trick of entering Chakravyuha, in his mother, Subhadra’s womb. Arjuna realised that she was asleep. So he did not explain the method of coming out from Chakravyuha, a skill which Abhimanyu could not learn.
39. Bhim killed Hidimb after escaping from Lakshagriha. He later married his sister, Hidimba.
40. Bhim also killed Vakasur, who ate large amount of grains and buffaloes everyday.
Reading suggestion: Unknown facts from Mahabharata (4)
41. Vidura helped Pandavas to escape from Lakshagriha.
42. Barbari was the grandson of Bhim. Krishna asked for his head as a gurudakshina, as it was feared that Pandavas would not be able to fulfill their vows, if he fought the Mahabharata war.
43. The Mahabharata has eighteen parvas or chapters.
44. Early life and Draupadi swayambar is written in Adi Parva.
45. The thirteenth parva of Mahabharat is Anushashana parva, where Bhishma tells Yushishthir how to conduct governance.
46. Jarasandh was killed in the same way he born, in two halves. He was killed by Bhima.
47. Kichak, in the Hindu epic Mahabharata, was the brother of queen Sudeshna of King Virata, the king of Matsya. Kichak was slain by Bhima during one year of incognito exile spent by Pandavas at the court of king Virata. King Virata was killed by Drona during the great war.
48. Killing of Kichak made Duryodhana to think that Pandavas were hiding at King Virata’s place. After all, there were very few people, who were capable of killing Kichak, Bhima was one of them.
49. After Shri Krishna’s death, Pandavas too lost their interest in life. They started their journey to heaven. All Pandavas have lost their lives during the journey. Only Yudhisthir and a dog made it to heaven. That dog was Dharmaraj.
50. Yudhisthira found his brothers in heaven. A surprising presence there was that of Duryodhana. Narada explained to Yudhisthira that Duryodhana never showed cowardice, he had been a just and good king, he died a brave’s death that too in the holy place. That’s why he is in heaven. Surprising indeed.
51. The Mahabharat war happened because of a lady. It is believed that Draupadi addressed sons of Dhritrashtra as sons of blind. This made Duryodhana to become a staunch enemy of Pandavas.